Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Day of Reckoning

Well well well.  The time for stretching arrived.  While the hide was waiting in the Ziploc bag, I ate a sandwich, did some stretches, turned on the heater in the garage, checked blog stats, milled around for a bit... you know, anything I could do to delay the final step in case it didn't turn to leather.  I finally sucked it up and began pulling/stretching/manipulating the hide in my hands, on my knees, on a sawhorse, anything. 

With all the unnecessary parts removed (grain, hair, membrane), and the brain/oil having penetrated the remaining collagen to help it open up, I needed to stretch the hide while it turned from damp to dry.

Turned the heat up in the garage and used a space heater so it wouldn't take even longer for the hide to dry. (It would be exhausting to keep stretching in cold weather.)




 Sorry again for the sideways video, but here's me, getting up close and personal with the hide (um, yet again).  It was important to work every inch of the hide. I tried to stretch the thinner edge areas first (belly), then focused on the thicker parts (neck, back).


If you just watched the video, please picture me doing that for four straight hours, stopping only to turn the camera on and off, and to grab some water and apple slices (pre-cut during my "avoid the stretching" milling about).  Here's another video, in case you couldn't get enough out of the first one.

The break time apple slices were only possible after my Mom came home early from work when I begged, I mean, asked her for help.  Mom-the Mercenary of Leather Stretching!  (More like "Redeemer of Leather Stretching," since I only paid her with a pat on the back.)  Of the four hours, she helped with the final hour and a half as we watched the brownish raw hide dry to white.

The upper portion of the hide is drying to white.

Thanks Mom!  (Dad was out of town that evening and had to miss the fun.)

This is my favorite picture of the whole experience.


Out of all the help I received during tanning, I needed the most during this step.  The new maxim should read: Many hands make soft leather

Stretched my fingertips raw.  (Yeah, you can't really see it in this photo, but they were red!)


Battered knees from working on the concrete garage floor.
 As the hide was drying, some of the edges were turning super super soft and supple, luxurious even!  That part was exciting.  The part that was not exciting, however, was the middle and main part of the hide.  In the final hours it became clear that no matter how much my Mom and I pulled, it was not drying softly.

After all the preparation, all the hard work, all the smelling of brains, the hide only turned into about 10% leather.  Such. A. Disappointment.  I had to call the game/throw in the towel/bring in the troops when I realized that the middle would forever be a piece of soft on the outside, stiff on the inside, half parchment/half leather.  The outer fiber layers were soft like leather, but the inner layers had not been penetrated by the brains enough to help them stretch open... or maybe I needed more help stretching (maybe using a frame and stick to work the hide, like the picture on the front of the book)... or maybe I hadn't rinsed enough after the bucking... or who knows. 


I'm tugging on the leather, while the stiff parchment-like areas on the left remain crunchy and tug-proof.
 I sat on the couch sore and defeated.  I looked like my puppy dog had just run away.  My Mom tried to cheer me up by suggesting a hot shower and some Chic-fil-A, which did help a little, but it took a few hours before I could play the "Upside Game." 

The hide didn't turn to a beautiful large piece of brain tanned leather, but...
Upside: Some of it did turn to leather, which I can use for science experiments at school.
Upside: Several men told me about their failures in tanning through various methods, so I didn't feel like I was the only person who didn't get it right on my first try.
Upside:  I learned all about the process and will be able to talk to other brain tanners out there to learn even more.
Upside: The project was the talk of the town and I got to work with community, school, and family members.

I was also embarrassed.  I had started this blog and been talking about tanning for quite some time, and I was worried about what people would think after they found out that I hadn't become a master tanner.  But, as usual, friends are supportive and kind...and made me feel much better.  I debated not smoking the hide, but decided to finish so at least the percentage that was leather would go through the whole process.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Fran. Sometimes the learning process is just that...........experience is the best teacher and you sure did experience this one!!! Watching you stretch the hide made me wonder why it didn't pull apart. You put in a lot of work in manual labor and did get "luxurious" pieces that you could use. Kudos to you for trying and for sharing the whole process with us. It has been so interesting, and I have learned through you what a job it is to make something so wonderful. Don't be discouraged by what you didn't get, but revel in what you did get.

    You can certainly try the "short mechanical" way next time. You were the "Lone Ranger" this time except for one short spurt of Tonto's (Mom) help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FR

    If you had been one of the people who developed these ways, you wouldn't have had to read the steps from a book. You would have grown up surrounded by family members who did it every day. As a toddler you would have helped carry hides and may have been given a small piece to chew on and stretch yourself. As an older child you would have been taught to sew the rents in damaged hides. Later still you would have skinned the animals yourself. By the time you were of age you would have been a living, breathing tanner. It would have been in your blood.

    So 10 percent from a complete novice who started about 20 years too late is pretty damn good by my reckoning. You should be very proud.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen Carlee sent me the link to your blog. While I wouldn't consider myself an expert (I've only done about 100 brain tanned hides), I thought I'd throw in a few suggestions. #1 you got the best book to learn from. I've tried/read most of them readily available and Matt's is by far the best. I have used it several times when teaching traditional hide tanning workshops. #2 Get the graining tool that Matt sells or something similar if you are going to do it again. A drawknife just isn't really designed for fleshing and graining. With a little practice, you will be graining an entire deer hide in around an hour. #3 Next time you smoke your hide, do the "tipi" thing. Sew/Elmer's glue the hide into a tube attach a cloth skirt and hang from a tripod. You will get much better smoke penetration, will breath far less smoke and it will work much quicker. #4 You can rebrain the hide and work it out until it is softer. As long as you got the grain off (a few little stragglers won't hurt if small patches), it will readily soak up the brain solution and soften up much easier than the first time. I'm sure the main problem is you stopped before it was completely dry. It may feel dry but if it feels cool when put against your face, it isn't dry enough to stop. Up until it is almost dry, you can wrap it in a towel and put it in the fridge for a bit to rest.

    Lastly, Great Job! Hide tanning is a lot of work and you saw the job to completion. Thanks for sharing your hide tanning experience.

    ReplyDelete