Friday, January 7, 2011

Time out for a bear skinning.

While waiting for the hide to swell in the bucking solution, I got a phone call that doesn't happen everyday, at least not to me.  I'd been hemming and hawing about visiting my grandparents and cousins when my aunt called me.

"Oh hey Fran, what are you up to?"

"Just getting ready to look at the hide to see if it's ready to rinse and grain."

"Are you coming down to Fulks Run tonight?"

"Not sure..."

"Well maybe you'll change your mind when you find out---Walker got a bear!"


I felt it where there was no blood.  Very soft (I guess I should have known that).

Hot dog! Everyone in the family was all excited and taking pictures with the bear (not the girl from Maryland who was with another cousin, though...she seemed scared).  I got there just in time to meet up with Walker as he took it to the house of another hunter for skinning.  Two of the men were hunters and one was a taxidermist.  Not sure what they thought about a girl showing up to the skinning. I always think it's some special and unusual thing to be interested in the goings-on with dead animals, but in the country, the women are tough.  When I was the only girl at my taxidermy course in Wisconsin, I thought I'd get different treatment.  No way. 

I talked taxidermy shop with the taxidermist and he explained some of the anatomy as they were skinning the bear.  Walker was deciding between a half mount and shoulder mount, meaning the skin had to be carefully removed around the head and front paws to preserve it.  It's difficult to mount a skin that you've cut and then sewn.  Half mount is literally half the bear, and shoulder mount basically means the head.  When you see a deer mounted with its neck and head, that's technically called a shoulder mount. 

Whenever I see something like this for the first time (you know, a skinning), I'm always a little nervous about seeing the carcass, but it ends up being more of a learning/interesting experience.  The meat was cut into different pieces and shared with the other hunters (ribs, thighs, etc.).  I've tasted bear once; it was canned and from a man at Biltmore who lives in Appalachia.  I could never understand about 90% of what he said to me.

I know these pictures are weird, and I'm not quite sure how much you'd appreciate me trying to talk you into enjoying them.  So I've decided I'll just post them, and you can be the judge of whether you find them fascinating or disturbing.


The fellas said that hundreds of bears from the surrounding mountains have been skinned in that room over the decades. 



That's my hand (see the sillyband?); that's as far as I helped.  The men said other bears have had about 4 more inches of fat than this one.

Walker, splitting up the meat.

This one is my favorite.

After.

Good job, guys.

5 comments:

  1. I always thought I could be a surgeon, but I never thought of taxidermy. The "workings" of human or animal bodies fascinate me, and working with something already dead would be less stressful...LOL. You say that this bear had about "4 inches less fat"......was he foraging in human garbage from hunger and that's why he was killed? Could you just let your deer hide sit idle while you went to the bear skinning? What do you replace the eyes with? (so many questions, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! I was telling Amanda that I can't watch surgery shows, but I can handle pretty much anything if the animal is no longer alive.
    This bear was probably just younger and that's why he wasn't as big or fat. In Virginia you can kill one bear per hunting season, so I guess my cousin deemed him big enough. I don't know how long the bear season is, but with all the excitement, I doubt it's very long.
    There were many "waiting" periods throughout the process, including sitting in the bucking solution (but only for a maximum of 10 days, like my latest entry explains). There were even a few breaks between steps that I could've frozen or dried out the hide until another time.
    Taxidermists use plastic eyes in fake skulls. Well, some taxidermists may still use the original skull (a long process because you need to get all the meat off the bone!), but we couldn't save this one even if we wanted to because Walker shot it in the head. I didn't include the shattered-back-of-skull-with-brains photo.
    Here's the taxidermy supply company that also has the school where I took my bird course. Browse through the supplies, it may help understand what parts are animal and which are now plastic. (But once again, the older the mount, the more likely it's original animal pieces.) http://www.taxidermyarts.com/catalog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I posted a pic of me making a snow angel today. You should go look......David made a comment that made reference to you and your taxidermy...........very funny to those who know what you are doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tanner,

    I'm a student at MIT, and I'm working with my professor, Mark Jarzombek (web.mit.edu/mmj4/www/) on a book on a global culture textbook. We're interested in using one of these photographs in our book! We really need a pic of a bear being skinned, and it turns out that it's really hard to find one, for some reason. We especially like the third picture down. We would crop the photo so it wouldn't show anyone's face. If you are interested in helping us with our project, please email me at ahw@mit.edu.

    Best,
    Alexander

    ReplyDelete