Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Oh, hello there.

Don’t deny it; you know you’re into it.  You feel like maybe you shouldn’t look, but you can’t control it.  That’s right- you’re secretly into taxidermy even though you think you should be grossed out by it.  So to fill the void, you’ve been reading my posts on facebook or keeping in touch through e-mail.  Well now I’m putting my adventures with dead animal parts into a blog for all to enjoy!  I’m doing this blog business for a little while because there are several people in my life who have expressed interest in learning more about what I’m up to.  (Currently brain tanning a deer hide, but I have a feeling I'll get into some taxidermy and hunting stories.)  If you don’t like seeing dead animal bits, stop reading now.  I will be posting lots of pictures and videos (well, ok, if I can figure it how to).  I’m not doing this to be clever (that would take way too long), but to simply share the processes... so don't expect poetry and remember that I'm on break from class/thinking. 

Why dead animals, you ask.   I have a very thought-out and provocative answer for that-- I think they're cool.  I don't know, I just like them.  Although I may not like pets, I very much enjoy animals in general... seeing them in the wild, especially.  Dioramas and taxidermy mounts pay homage to those animals. A way to see them up close and personal.  Yes, some (very small number) people hunt for trophies only, but it's a fact that our national parks and wildlife refuges were begun by gun-toting animal lovers who also shot them.  It's paradoxical, but thanks to Teddy Roosevelt, it's true.  I have enough faith in regulations today that animals will not be over-hunted.  Is this naive?  Who knows.  I do know that  museums no longer collect endangered animals (or many animals in general).  


1 comment:

  1. Don't know if you're still getting comments from this blog, but thought I would try here. Saw this article that you might be interested in:

    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201109/texas-drough-exposes-history-dinosaur-age

    Since the drought is so severe in Texas, they are starting to find things in the dried up lakes around some places.

    ReplyDelete